Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Wholewheat Seed Bread with Chia, Sunflower & Pepita

This is quite possibly the healthiest bread you'll ever make or eat. I'm not kidding! It is also very easy to make.

Have any of you heard of chia seeds? No, not those silly chia pets, sheesh. To find out just how healthy chia seeds are for you, I'd suggest letting Ma Google lead the way. I throw a handful of chia seeds in all my curries now, btw.

Back to the recipe. Easy, very easy.

Just start with my standard, easy, white bread recipe.

Instead of 4 cups of unbleached bakers flour, use 2 cups of the bakers flour and 2 cups of wholewheat flour (called wholemeal flour down here in Oz). So that means half white, half whole wheat flours.

When you add the dry stuff (sugar, seasalt, yeast, etc) you also add 1 TBSP chia seeds, 2 TBSP shelled sunflower seeds, and 3 TBSP pepitas.

Pepitas are raw, shelled, pumpkin seeds.

Then just follow along with the rest of the how-to and then you'll be eating some very healthy and TASTY bread.

1 comment:

Healthy Natural Systems said...

I've never had my own chia pet or chia head or whatnot, but they look cool on TV. I just eat the seeds and I swear, they help sooo much as far as energy and feeling good throughout the day goes. I honestly started feeling so much better on a day-to-day basis after I started putting them in my smoothies about a year ago. The one's I get are Chia Pure. Chia Seeds Right Now they are even buy 1
get 1 free!